Sunday, September 11, 2011

Adventure Pit Stop

Dear readers,

Before I say anything in this post please have a moment of silence as ten years ago today a few thousand innocent people died and if I was to type anything with out acknowledging crimes done against them I would be committing a crime myself.

I hope you stayed with me after that moment. The reason I have put that there is simple, everything to be said on the matter has been said in full and in detail and if I was to say anything on it I would be beating a dead horse. As such this post is not on 9/11.

I will like to assure you that quotes will be up quite soon. In this post I would like to discuss something else and that is that I have finished reading Derrida. So of course I'm going to try and figure out what I got from Derrida by trying to write about it in a blog post. I expect this to be a bit of a failure but let's try it.

First off he liked to deconstruct a word by looking at its meaning and then looking at what the roots of the word mean. He would then look at the deeper meaning this has for the word such as with "hospitality" he pointed out that it had hostile in it because hospitality cannot be true hospitality because you never give up power fully and instead people can only be hospitable when they are in control. So to be truly hospitable one must allow one into their home and allow the other to be at home instead of allowing themselves to be at an almost home. Nor can it be used to show off how much cool stuff you own to another person. At the same time you can't give everything away because that would be saintly and not hospitable.

And so he decided that to find the true meaning of a word one must look at its limitations and then command the word to exceed those limitations and invent itself anew. And thinking about that isn't that what artists do? How could art ever improve if one does not set their limitations ever higher. Sure when we were younger the cave paintings of a cave man look cool and N'Sync are the bomb but when we get older we set ourselves higher than that and may prefer Picasso to a caveman and most other things to N'Sync (or at least that is the case with my self).

Well then again art and philosophy are the same. They are connected. They are simply different ways of expressing the same thing. That thing which we all love and fear. The thing which some believe defines us as humans. The human soul.

And with that I wish you good night and you will be seeing more from this blog in a few hours,

Mike Hand
PS. We're all friends here, there is no reason to call me Mike Hand. Please just call me a variation of Mike or simply "Hand".

1 comment:

  1. Dude, that is not a bad summation of deconstruction and Derrida at all. Bravo, in fact.

    Now, Derrida was mostly concerned with text, but deconstruction has been applied to everything from poop to paintings to film. WHat you need to do then is figure out how a painting is deconstructed or a film is deconstructed, especially as the work moves away from text and we no longer have etymology to help us understand things.

    "How could art ever improve if one does not set their limitations ever higher. "

    Most excellent. Limitations are critical.

    Limitations=Decisions

    ReplyDelete