Sunday, December 18, 2011

Time Flew

Dear readers,

Right now I'm dealing with something a little strange for myself. Did you ever have one of those instances when people say something and you think, "that will never happen to me"? I have and those are senior speeches in congress. Every year people break down crying and say that no one can know why until they stand up there themselves. Now don't be mistaken any one crying isn't crying for the sake of it, most of them centered their entire high school around this club. We all went in there awkward freshman or otherwise and returned from the battle field of debate as man. This is no joke, I would have people tell you how awkward I was freshman year at the first congress but most of those people graduated. What remains is a few people and then myself. I who can tell you how awkward the majority of the people in every school's club were when I first met them, I who could tell there growth intellectually and socially, I who was approached by many people with important questions and then I who will graduate and leave.

What I'm grappling with is "and then what?" Ultimately the moment I leave for college I will slowly be erased from the memory of the club which made what was probably the biggest impact on my four years of high school. It used to be that I cared about awards but that ended after the first congress when I realized my joy could never be in awards but only in speaking and being near a group of people who far exceeded in intelligence and creativity most people I knew at school.

And when I go to college I lose all that. More then that I may lose myself. Is that a bad thing? Maybe, maybe not but I guess the only thing I can do is go boldly towards the future.

Looking to what's ahead,

Mike Hand

No comments:

Post a Comment