Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Project Update 2

Dear readers,

Today I created yet another grammar post, this time on when it is proper to italicize/underline. The difficulty in the project is trying to find out what to write on next. Perhaps tomorrow will be on when to properly use a slash in a sentence.

In my research I learned that "Basket Case" by Green Day and "Pachelbel's Canon" use the same exact chord structure. While I have nothing saying that they knew they were simply taking the chord structure and placing it in a different key, Wikipedia tells me that it is one of the most commonly used structures in pop music and so I assume that they knew that they were ripping the chord progression off from somewhere. This of course presented an idea; what if one ripped off an interesting chord progression and focused instead on making it interesting rather than original? It would be an interesting project and would avoid all the pitfalls of current music where most of it feels boring.

Of course I'm not entirely sure on why I want to do this. I know part of it is self motivated as I have been playing guitar for a while but never actually wrote a song. A slightly more dubious side is that over my entire high school career I have been continually pressured by my family to set my poems to music. Now I believe there are three camps in the music world right now: Those that shouldn't be in any industry, those that should publish a poetry book and call it a day and those who are genuinely good. I see myself more in the second category. Of course, I haven't even attempted song writing in years which is what is pulling me towards it.

Those are my reasons for considering song writing as my next "B" project as well as my progress on the current "A" project.

Mike Hand

1 comment: